Wednesday, April 28, 2010

She finally has a name...

Mike and I have finally agreed on a name for our new daughter. Here is the background to the story.

As many of you know, we had planned on naming Mary Kate "Hannah" until the very end of our pregnancy. Early on in our adoption process, we talked about using the name "Hannah" this time around. We threw around other names too, but Hannah was always at the top of the list. Last winter (about 3 weeks after Wu QingXi was born) I was reading a novel that quoted the verse Jeremiah 29:11... "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Even though I've read that verse 1,000 times, it hit me differently that time. What a great verse for an adopted child. I began considering the name "Hope" for our new daughter and giving her Jer. 29:11 as her life verse (we have given each of our kids a verse based on their name).

Thus began the conversation that Mike and I have had at least 20 times over the last year. Should we name her Hope or Hannah, Hannah or Hope. About 2 weeks ago (before we got THE call) we had the conversation again. We both agreed that we like the name Hannah more, but I couldn't shake the feeling that her name was supposed to be Hope. We reached no resolution.

Then we received our referral. We saw our daughter's face for the first time and we learned some facts about her. One of the documents gave details of Wu QingXi's name. "Wu" is her last name. It is the last name given to every child in the Wuhan City orphanage. "Qing" is her middle name. We don't know it's meaning, but it was the middle name given to every child who became part of the orphanage in January 2009. "Xi" is her first name. "Xi" is the Chinese character for HOPE. The paperwork says that they named her Hope because they wish her a bright future with sunshine and hope.

It gives me chills everytime I think about it. We've been talking about naming her Hope since last winter and the orphanage actually named her Hope. What are the chances??? So..... our daughter's name will officially be Hope Elizabeth! We are still considering giving her a second middle name that is Chinese, but for now, she's Hope Elizabeth.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! What a wonderful name for a sweet little girl. Congratulations on your new daughter. I love the life verses for all your kids - very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story about her name! SO COOL!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, Sarah - What an amazing story to tell her when she questions God's love for her! I am in tears... so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gives me chills! Wow...I can imagine how in awe you are of God right now! So happy for you and so excited to continue to read about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am completely in tears, this could only be our Lord's handiwork. I am so so happy for you guys, and amazed at the thoughtfulness and sweetness of that confirmation. I am looking so forward to hearing more about your precious little girl. Every Blessing and Every Hope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah - so excited for your family. What an amazing story - thank you for sharing it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great story, congratulations! Why don't you give her the additional middle name Qingxi? It will have a special meaning and also be something that is hers from before you met her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to another Hubei Honey!!!!
    Hope is gorgeous
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    s
    UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats.. beautiful child..inspiring story. While not done to all I think God does something like this to encourage all. My daughter, Lauren, was named Li, nickname Lili...same as her Grandfather's nickname when he was little. He has been in Heaven for 25 years..maybe God told him too. We are blessed.Beth R

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing! I just happened upon your blog! We too are adopting and we chose the name Hope years ago! We are considering a cleft baby and have three children! I am so happy for you!!!!!

    morehopeforus.blogspot.com

    I look forward to keeping up with your story as it beautifully unfolds!!!!

    ReplyDelete