Monday, June 28, 2010

Beautiful Day!

Today was the day we have been anticipating for so long. We finally got to meet Hope. Thanks to all of you who sent kind words of prayers and encouragement. Your prayers were felt today. I can't imagine today having gone any smoother.

We were picked up by our guide at 9am and we traveled about 45 minutes to a different part of town to the Civil Affairs building. We arrived before Hope did, so they had us fill out some paperwork in an office. While we were in the office, I heard a small commotion. I looked out and saw a woman carrying a baby and I immediately knew it was Hope. Of course, I started crying. We went out to meet her, but did not try to hold her right away. She was being held by one of the orphanage nannies and I stood by her and rubbed her back while she got used to looking at me. The nanny answered many questions for us about Hope's schedule, preferred foods and sleeping patterns. I was able to ask questions and our guide translated for us. One of the questions I asked was whether or not Hope could walk. The nanny put Hope down to demonstrate her ability to walk. After that, I picked her up and she has been glued to Mike and I since. What a beautiful moment!!

I am in awe of how wonderfully the orphanage has prepared for today. They gave us a photo album with pictures of Hope. They gave us a little care package of snacks for her along with the disposable camera that we sent in our care package a while back. Hope's foster mother also put together a little package for Hope, which included her favorite bottle (phew). We were given a typed out copy of her daily routine and it is obvious that they took care to dress her in a special outfit and new shoes. We feel very blessed because we know that not all orphanages provide so much for the adopting families.

Hope's transition has gone really well. She started crying at the office of Civil Affiars and it got worse when the nanny left. We got on the car to head back to our hotel and that's when she really started crying. She cried pretty hard for about 20 minutes and then she fell asleep. She woke up when we arrived at the hotel and she has been playing ever since. Her skills are amazing. She can walk and talk. She also is a wonderful imitator. She was scared of Mike at first, but he used Cheerios to wiggle his way into her heart. She is full of smiles and giggles. We have not been able to get her to eat much of substance today, but maybe she'll be famished by dinner.

We are so blessed. God granted us a beautiful meeting day with our daughter.










26 comments:

  1. So happy for you! Hope is such a beautiful girl and she is blessed to have you guys as parents. I am so excited to meet her.
    I got to hang out with the kids at church yesterday, so fun to be able to see them! They were cracking me up!
    Praying that the rest of the trip goes well and for a smooth adjustment for Hope.
    Love you guys!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word, she's so beautiful! I'm getting all weepy just looking at these pictures. What a blessing, thank you Jesus! We can hardly wait to meet her!!!
    Still praying,
    Mary
    PS. Lydia and Sonia are looking at the pictures too and we all agree - she's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a doll! So happy for all of you! Praying for you as you all continue the transition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! She is so adorable!!!! Hope the transition goes as well as it can! We'll be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sarah!!!!!!!!!!!! this is what got me out of bed this morning - hoping to find this post!!!! okay - she is so stinking cute - that outfit is awesome. she looks big!!!! i'm just so glad that so far it has been smooth! what a little sweetheart. you look so so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sarah, what an incredible day you had. Hope is a beauty. The photo of her standing in one of my favorites. And the love and joy in your smile is electric. I am so thrilled for you, Mike and the kids. Lots of love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So precious! Thank you for sharing your beautiful moment with us. Praying for a smooth transition and safe travels home. What a blessing to see the faithfulness of God come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! I just found your blog on china adoption blog site:0) We are heading to Wuhan to adopt a beautiful 2 year old in 10days!!! Your Hope is very sweet...the orphanage sounds amazing, its not too often you hear of such a care package. Thanks for sharing your story, I will certainly be following.
    Many Blessings
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is so cute and precious. I'm so glad things are going well there for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!!!! So adorable! Seeing your pic's this morning just made my day. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah and Mike,

    Congratulations! Hope is gorgeous. She looks healthy and happy and like a DeVries to me. Saying that Mike won her over with Cheerios made me laugh out loud. John had to win Nick over with snacks too, they just aren't sure what to make of those big men at first. I'm glad she is transitioning well. I can't wait to meet her. Be safe and enjoy the rest of your time on this journey. May God continue to bless every step of the way back home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mike and Sarah~ Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you!!! Hope is as beautiful as you hoped, and the Lord is better than we can imagine, isn't he? I am so thankful for your posts, as you know we will be there in a couple weeks!!! It's great to hear from you. God Bless you, now enjoy this time getting to know Hope better!!!
    ~sherrye

    ReplyDelete
  13. YEAHHH!!!!! I'm so happy to see that her transition is going well so far. I will be praying for sleep time. That was the hardest for Emma. And, AMEN for cheerios!! I swear every kid loves them. They did the trick with Emma, too.

    Emma wants to know if she likes the puffs and her book. She said that she is really cute.

    Love you guys!!
    Jeana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your beautiful daughter! She is amazing and probably has no idea what a wonderful life is in store for her. Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited for you! And Hope is absolutely adorable!! I got teary-eyed just looking at the pictures of her in your arms. I can hardly wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is so beautiful! When the kids saw the pictures, they said, "Awww, she's so cute!" I was getting choked up reading about it, and am just so thankful that you finally have her! We'll continue praying that everything goes well for the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a wonderful day for you! I just found your blog through Mary and I'm so glad that I did. Congratulations on the beautiful new addition to your family. I pray the transition goes smoothly for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tears!!! What precious pictures of your sweet Hope! So glad the transition is going well. She does look so big! What a cutie. :) Can't wait to meet her soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY!!! she's so precious!! i'm so happy that everything went smoothly and i can't WAIT to meet her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Sarah, she's beautiful! I am so happy for you. I can't wait to read more updates and see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sarah...i cannot put into words how beautiful this all is! it is so amazing that this sweet girl is FINALLY part of your family in a tangible way. i am over-the-moon happy for your family!!! i will continue to pray for hope's transition! oh, and can i say she just looks like she belongs to your family. when i see the pictures of mike, hope and yourself...i just think, "yep, that's hope and she is one of the devries kids." that is God...i know it for sure. He knew who her family would be and it is just awesome that He has brought you together in His timing. LOVE YOU FRIEND!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmm....I posted earlier and now I don't see it. Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I got all teary-eyed reading your post and looking at the pictures, and I just can't wait to meet Hope! I'm so glad God blessed you with such a wonderful first day with her. Prayers to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations to you and your family, Sarah. So happy for all of you. As Amy would say, Hope is adorable :).

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is so amazingly adorable! Just love her cheeks! Can't wait to meet you Hope!

    Thanks for the great posts sarah- they give me tears and shivers of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, Sarah... I am emotional about this; I can't even imagine what you all are feeling. What joy! What a beautiful daughter you have. As soon as I saw your pictures, it just seemed clear that she belongs with you all. She has made it home!! So totally thrilled for you all and will pray for her transition. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sarah -
    She is adorable and you look so happy and excited! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete