Sunday, June 27, 2010

WUHAN

This morning we flew to Wuhan, which is in the province of Hubei. The population of Wuhan is 8.3 million, the same size as New York City. We learned today that only 10% of the people in Wuhan own a car, which means that traffic is not too terrible. We arrived at our hotel to find the crib already set up and waiting for Hope. What a surreal feeling. We did a little shopping and then headed out to dinner with my parents. We are the only people from our travel group who flew to Hubei province, so we are on our own now. The guide from our adoption agency recommended three restaurants for us to try. We picked one of the restaurants and when we entered, it was clear that no one spoke English. They finally located a server who spoke minimal English. When we ordered one of our dishes, he looked at us as if to say, "I'm not so sure you're going to like it." What he actually said was, "Hmmm.... sweet." When we received the dish and started eating it, we realized that what he meant to say was,"Spicy." We left the restaurant with our tongues on fire. After dinner, we walked to the park that is next to our hotel. It is not like the parks we have back home. It's a large cement area. There were tons of big wheels for kids to ride around on. I could picture our kids having a ball there.

Back in 1999 I spent 5 months as an English teacher in China. I became accustomed to being stared at, as most Chinese people are not used to seeing foreigners. However, this time around, no one is staring at me or my parents. All of the attention is paid to Mike. I'm guessing the fact that he's 6' 5" has something to do with it. When our guide met us at the airport today, she asked him if he was a basketball player. When he said, "No", she told him that he had the body of an NBA player. I think that made his day.

Tomorrow is the big day. At 9am, we will meet our guide and she will take us to a government building to get Hope. We should be meeting her at 10am, which is 10pm on Sunday night for those of you in the Eastern Time Zone. If you think of it, please pray for us during that time. We know that Hope is going to be scared and the transition could be quite difficult. I think it's safe to say that she is not as excited to meet us as we are to meet her.

Thanks for all of your support. We can't believe that our long wait is finally coming to an end! My dad is all set to take pictures and my mom will have the camcorder in hand to capture the big moment. That way we can enjoy meeting Hope without having to worry about documenting the moment. In case you have never had a chance to see my dad's beautiful photography, you should check out his website at: www.scriptureexpressions.com

I can't wait for tomorrow's post when I can actually post pictures of our daughter!!!!



7 comments:

  1. AHHH!!! I'm so excited for you guys. I just realized that you are only 2 hours from meeting Hope. I will be praying for you tonight. I know exactly what is going through your minds and your racing hearts. Take a deep breathe and soak it all up. We were also the only family in our group so I understand those feelings, too. Hang in there. It will actually be really nice to have Hope to yourselves and not worry about the plans of other families. It is also great to have your guide to yourself while doing all the paperwork Monday. AHH! Big squeeze from us! I'm crying just thinking about your joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.my.word. . . just looked at the clock and realized that in ONE HOUR you will be meeting her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cannot wait to hear (and see pictures) all about it!!!!!! this has been such a long time coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened to check your blog, and I'm praying for you guys and for Hope! You should be meeting her in about 15 minutes. I'm on pins and needles too. I can't wait to see the pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 10:00 pm right now, so I'm saying a prayer for you! I can't even imagine what you're feeling, but I'm so very happy for you! Can't wait to hear the story and see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike & Sarah...and Hope! :) I'm guessing that you have Hope in your arms right now & that just brings me tears of joy! Praying for you.... for the transitions you and Hope are going through, for these first few days of getting to know one another, and for the sweet memories you are making with the newest member of the DeVries family. :) Lots of love sent your way....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to read your next post. Sending lots of prayers from DC!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Sarah! By now you have met her. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now! I will be praying for an easy transition for all of you. I can't wait to see pictures. The Lord has blessed all of you! Congratulations on your new, beautiful, baby girl! Love, Misty!

    ReplyDelete